Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 8: Snow show

Yesterday it continued snowing, but the temperature was bearable at around -3 Celsius. It has been 4 days now and at least a foot of  dry, powdery snow. It's very still so when it does snow it drifts down slowly in a hypnotic whirl. Moscow now looks totally different than it did when I arrived:


Last night we went out for dinner to La Casa Lopez, a Mexican restaurant which always has suitable music and delicious smells wafting from the door. It was so cute inside, all the furniture was colourful and unique like the chairs with horses and flowers carved into them, and each table was themed. James ordered for us and I had the fish tacos, which isn't something I would think of in my limited experience with Mexican food. They were so yummy, as was the blackberry lemonade and bean dip. We finished with fried icecream which was apparantely essential, and a treat without actually being too greasy. On the way home we discovered just how heavily it had been snowing:



Then Bethany, Jen and I shared conversation on topics ranging from travel, the SOPA internet censorship bill, the 'Into the Wild' phenomenon and its negative effects on young men, and the concept of home. I really feel at home here even after just a week - I feel I have made some close friends and this whole town just has such a nice vibe. I'm glad I came, and it has been a great mix of relaxation and activity. Have been to the Storm Cellar about 5 times total and bought some amazing stuff. Environmentally and ethically conscious business model, quality, unique pieces and a great selection make it one of the best shops I have seen. I will miss it! 3 out of the 5 things I'm wearing in this photo were bought here.


I've been feeling a bit under the weather (excuse the pun; it's still snowing) so today has just been sleeping, relaxing, reflecting and admiring the snow. Due to snow in Seattle my flight got cancelled, apparantely they are not used to it over there and the city just shuts down. I'm now flying out tonight with a 4 hour layover in Seattle, although unfortunately the airport is a bit too far from the city to see it at all. 
About to go out for coffee and say goodbye to the wonderful people I've met.

No comments:

Post a Comment