Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Welcome to Los Angeles

We arrived in LA after a 14 hour flight. I'm travelling and staying in Idaho with my dear friend Bethany who is inspirational, check out her blog www.thespacesbetweenplaces.blogspot.com.
Straight into a line, being directed by uniformed officials. Customs wasn't as bad as I thought,  they take your fingerprints which probably isn't a bad idea. LAX is very unhelpful - no signs, very rundown and dingy for a big international airport, officials seemed quite rushed and didn't really tell us where to go. Strange place.

In the domestic lounge I got my first American food and coffee. Everything on the menu, even Starbucks and Burger King, has a calorie count next to it. Really? You're going to choose which fast food burger you have based on how many calories it contains? We discussed how calorie counting is ridiculous because its the quality of food that actually matters. No wonder some people here are so unhealthy.

On the domestic flights the staff were overly friendly, middle aged women wearing waistcoats. They tried to sell us food and airline loyalty programs when they came down the aisle, when they served drinks and even over the intercom. We are in the world capital of consumerism. It was disconcerting realising that I couldn't buy a relaxing glass of wine..that may take some getting used to.

The scenery on the flights was cool, we flew over Hollywood and I did see the sign and felt no excitement about it. Mostly the land looked very dry, brown and flat until the steep rocky mountains. Over the more northern states there were circular crop fields everywhere, pine forests and even some snow and some beautiful mountains. The 'farms' here grow crops, not animals, and a lot of it looks like it definitely wouldn't support them. Stark contrast to the lush green everywhere at home!

After Lauren drove us to Moscow we finally got to Bethany's apartment at 6pm, over 30 hours since I left home. It's cold but not unbearable, I don't mind proper dry snowy cold if one is properly dressed for it. Unfortunately it hasn't snowed here though, apparently it has been a very mild winter everywhere I'm going. No surprises there...home varied daily between mid 20s, sunny and clear skies, torrential rain for days, gale force winds and muggy overcast days. I know that there are still some people trying to deny climate change but the evidence is everywhere.

So Bethany's apartment is adorable, like all her previous rooms have been. This one is a jungle - trees painted on the walls, vines hanging from the ceiling and fake plants everywhere with fairy lights strung around them, of course. However while she was away her boyfriend got in and wrapped her furniture up in christmas paper, hung ribbons and tinsel from the vines, stuck bows on everything, strung up garlands and installed a christmas tree complete with lights and presents underneath. Oh and fake snow. It was like a scene from a movie, 'real life' life imitating a mediated fantasy version of 'real life'.
I will always remember it. What a wonderful idea, I feel good knowing there are people in the world who do things like that.
We drank red wine and danced and had showers and admired the jungle and the christmas wonderland over top of it. Then i met some awesome people I had heard so much about and we hung out at an American student flat for a while. I loved it - football flags, posters and jerseys everywhere, American accents and delicious tacos. The guys were so friendly and welcoming and invited us to stay at their log cabin in the weekend, which I am so looking forward to.
They had even heard of the All Blacks, and I explained to them how rugby is like religion in New Zealand - if you don't follow it, worship the All Blacks and understand the rules you are not a true Kiwi. Sad but true, we are a nation obsessed with something that really is just a game. I don't really 'follow' rugby and don't understand the obsession, although it was quite cool the way the World Cup brought people together and everyone got behind it. I witnessed a flash mob haka in the Square which admittedly was so cool, as was getting stopped and surrounded by a group of Samoan boys performing their haka on my way to work. I love spontaneity, public performance and the unexpected.

Even though Moscow is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, everyone had ideas on all the cool things here that I should do and places they would take me. People here all seem interesting, passionate and friendly and proud to be students at U of I. Brilliant.

We went out for dessert at Sangria which I had heard all about. James produced starters and extra desserts and completely spoiled us. The food was absolutely amazing, and the company was even better. After a few hours I could already see why Bethany stayed here, it is gorgeous and I know my time here will be so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment