Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 10: Oh Canada

Thankfully, all of my flights got out just fine. There were a few delays which made me very nervous, but I got into Portland with plenty of time to spare. It's the 4th state I have been to now so I bought a shot glass to commemorate the occasion.

Airports and queues dragged by in a blur. I was hungover, tired, grumpy, hungry and emotional. I got an email from Nick telling me how thoughts of me had gotten him through some pretty tough situations out in the bush. Right back at you. It is so nice to have a positive, reliable male in my life and I think I'm definitely getting past the trust issues that a lot of girls like me have, especially those who have recently overcome battles with depression and anxiety. My day just got a bit better, and I am so lucky to have someone who knows just how to do that.

I am really humbled by the help people have given me over the last couple of days, and how they have tried so hard to make me feel better. I didn't even know how to thank Will, but it's definitely renewed my faith in humanity and I won't forget it. Everyone made sure I was okay all the time, surrounded me with good humour and shared their lives with me. The stranded Kiwi is doing just fine, thanks to my new friends. These people i only met a week ago were determined to get me on a flight and to keep me happy. There is hope for society after all.

Finally my plane touched down in Vancouver, and then Kelowna. I was the only person on the ski shuttle, and the bus driver told me about how the huge lake here (20km x 1km) completely freezes in winter but warms up to 20C in summer. British Columbia is an amazing part of the world, and one I could definitely see myself living in.
Just as it got dark we pulled into the Silverstar resort, with its candy-coloured houses and deep snow covering everything. The driver was very helpful and reminded me night skiing is on tonight, and the bars are open.

I have just been unwinding, including having an Okanagan cider in the hot tub. I missed that fruity brew! The hot tub is outside on the deck, which is above a small ski trail. Apart from the occasional night skiier coming past, it was just me and the tall skinny trees with their branches weighed down by snow. Snow drifted down and occasionally blew into the porch. I've always found that snow seems to make everything hushed and still, as if it absorbs any sound as it fills the sky. It was so quiet and beautiful, and I finally felt at peace with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment