Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 22: Sex and squirrels

Today I finally went to the Museum of Sex, which I had been reading a lot about and looking forward to visiting. To get there I had to walk several blocks, and noticed the streets sometimes get grimier the further away you get from the main drag (Broadway and 5th Ave in this case). I was a minority in race and gender, and there were head shops everywhere with huge hookah pipes and bongs in the windows - in various colours, sizes, shapes and 'special editions'. They were even on signs outside the shops. I'm not sure you would get away with that in a city at home, but I did think the drug laws were very stringent here.

In the museum the tall black security guards outnumbered the guests. The first room was called 'Sex and the Moving Image' and documented erotic film and pornography from the 1900s through to the 1990s and 21st Century. They had examples, stills and information on each era and style in America, some of which I didn't previously know about. Some of the footage was played on big platform type things on the floor, I'm not sure why but it was very tasteful and informative. They had managed to get hold of copies of Colin Farrell and Paris Hilton's sex tapes and had a panel on the celebrity sex tape phenomena and the wonders it could do for publicity, good or bad. There were also sections on same-sex films, food and sex and masturbation in mainstream film. I thought it was cool that it wasn't just about porn, but a commentary on sex in cinema and its impact on the industry and society.

Upstairs was the permanent collection, including art, toys, models and displays. They ranged from interesting to hilarious, to creepy and shocking (depending on your previous exposure, I suppose). some of the art was awesome, I especially liked the original pin-ups and 'French Postcards' and thought they were much more erotic than the explicit images common today.
And yes, those are silicon sex dolls. I touched them and they had an odd sticky texture, definitely not like skin at all and definitely very creepy. I was surprised there was no accompanying commentary about the demand for human replicas, and how the desire for closeness is often really what its all about.





I was very happy to see this great piece of public discourse! There were several of these boards accompanying sets of objects, discussing the facts around different topics without sounding biased or dismissive of any sexual practices.

The top floor contained 'The sex lives of animals' which didn't sound that interesting but it was really well done. It explored things like genitalia, mating practices, family structures, gender, masturbation and orgasm in many different species ranging from insects to whales. Cleverly, they used these examples to show that there really is no 'normal' pattern of sexual behaviour, genitalia size and shape varies hugely, gender is not always a fixed state and sex is a very natural and enjoyable part of life for all creatures. Fantastic to see, and I only wish more of this information was part of mainstream education and general knowledge. I learnt a lot, and it all made perfect sense.





There were also some great sculptures commissioned by a local artist:


This one was titled 'Deer threesome' and included a panel describing the homosexual tendencies of some deer, and why they are thought to do this.

I could go on, and I wished there were more exhibits. But I left feeling refreshed, having learned lots and reassured that there are people educating, informing and trying to dispel the sex myths and taboos which continue to manipulate our society. 
I could have also spent a long time and a lot of money in the gift shop, which had a great selection of books, novelties and museum souvenirs such as a tall glass with 'sex makes me thirsty' printed on it. I browsed for a while and then left, and bought a lamb gyro from the kebab stand across the road. For under 5 dollars, it was delicious and very fresh.

It was a really nice afternoon, so i went and sat in Madison Sqaure Park for a while along with dozens of locals out enjoying the sun, walking their many dogs, eating lunch or watching a saxophone busker. The sounded drifted across the park and it was oddly peaceful and calm, at the intersection of two of the main streets in the central metropolis of Manhattan. 



A woman came past with a vintage camera and asked to take my picture, and the lady opposite me held her dog on her lap and stoked it while she read from her Kindle. All the dogs here are exceptionally well behaved and stay close to their owners. For some reason in this particular park there are lots of squirrels, and people must sometimes feed them because they aren't shy. I stood by the temporary fence closing off the lawn for winter and watched them scurry up and down trees, dig for nuts and do a little dance when they found one. When people near me started throwing nuts for them they got very bold, and would climb up onto the fence and sniff my hand, even putting a paw onto my arm to pull themselves up. Then suddenly they were off again, tails bouncing and twitching. Charming. 




After that it was time to go home and chill out. I have enjoyed my time here so much, but all those busy days really took it out of me. My legs and feet ache, I'm tired and slightly over it. I feel slightly dazed and don't really know what to do with myself. Still, I'm determined to do at least one thing for the next few days until I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment